Sunday, April 26, 2009

Feeling Used

Several week ago I started a ladies Bible class about having authentic relationships. This was WAY out of my comfort zone!!! But the class has far exceeded my expectations! It is such a wonderful time for us to develop our friendships and find solutions to some of the problems that we all face.

Then, about 2 weeks ago, I was asked if I knew someone (maybe even me) that could speak to the girls at the high school retreat about self esteem. I said no, but I would think about it. Well, I did a lot of thinking. A lot of praying. I remembered the promise that I made myself years ago. If I ever got a chance to pass along the lessons that I learned as a teen, that I would. So I agreed to talk to the girls. I was a bit nervous about speaking to teens, but God took care of that for me. He gave me courage through the loving support of my friends. The retreat was wonderful and I pray that the young ladies will benefit from what I had to say. Also, while I was there, I was able to comfort a young man whose close friend has just been diagnosed with leukemia. That was rough. It brought back so many memories.

And now I am feeling used.

And what a great feeling that is!!! I feel as though I have been used by God for His good purpose. I can not claim any of this as works of my own because "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17 Thank you God for the opportunity to serve you.

3 comments:

Jen Mall said...

Deanna, The girls loved listening to you...well, Jenna did. Bethany was so disappointed that she missed getting to hear you. Maybe you could do a private show for her and I. (As if I haven't "used" you enough.) The moms were very impressed by your words as well! Good for you for stepping out of your box!

David and Olivia said...

Way to go! I'm sure that the girls got a lot from your talk to them. It's a good feeling to be "used by God," especially when you know that He is working through you, (sometimes I feel it's in spite of me!). :) I'd love your notes from your talk if you're sharing!

Jill said...

I'm sure that you were a huge blessing to those girls! I wish I could have gone to hear what you had to say! God is using you in soooooo many ways to help others!