Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Complete Faith

Sunday was a great day at church! Sunday morning we had a bilingual service with our Hispanic congregation including 2 baptisms. Sunday night after the tex-mex potluck, we had a devotional and communion. It reminded me very much of how Jesus and his disciples would have had a communion meal. It was family gathered together, eating, visiting, worshiping, communing. God was in that place.

During communion, Lily climbed up in my lap. Here was our conversation:

Lily: "Mom, not everyone in here is baptized."
Mom: "Nope."
Lily: (laughing) "Cause baby Vivian is not baptized." (She is 3 weeks old!)
Mom: "Well no silly, she is just a baby. But you are not baptized. Not Logan or Zachery. Even some of the adults in this room are not baptized."

She looked at me like I had grown 2 heads!!! Mouth open - eyes wide. Complete disbelief!

Mom: "It's true. Some adults and teens in this room have not been baptized." We then talked about the adults that had been baptized just that morning and that some people do not go to church. Ever. Who teaches them about the Bible?

I'm so thankful that I have a long line of faithful family members and have been taught about God since I was born. And I love that I am passing it on to my children. Lily's reaction to hearing that some adults are not baptized pleased me. It lets me know that she is confident that she will be baptized when she is old enough. That she has complete faith in Jesus. That she can not imagine life without church. I pray that I always have the faith of this child.

"And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3

1 comment:

Jenn said...

That Lily is one smart cookie!! Love it!